How to Make a DIY Pom-Pom NecklaceNovember 02, 2012 | FILED UNDER: Pom-Poms
DIY Pom-Pom Necklace
Want a super easy piece of DIY jewelry for fall? How about this yarn pom-pom necklace you can make in under an hour?
Pom-poms are cropping up all over the place – I used them in my fall yarn wreath, and I’m considering making some to decorate my Christmas tree with this year. They make pretty garlands and present toppers, so heck why not jewelry?! Here’s the easy tutorial:
Supplies for DIY Pom-Pom Necklace
You need very few supplies for this project. If you have some leftover yarn and a metal chain necklace, you are all set!
- Yarn in your choice of colors (I particularly liked how the variegated yarn looked in my necklace)
- Metal chain necklace (or make your own with an 18″ chain, jump rings, a lobster clasp, and pliers)
How to Make a Basic Yarn Pom-Pom
1. Start by holding a piece of yarn across two fingers. Use your thumb to keep it in place.
2. Wrap the yarn around your fingers 40-50 times. If you wanted to make larger pom-poms, you could wrap the yarn around 3 fingers.
3. Once you’ve wrapped the yarn, cut it off from the skein. Leave the yarn on your fingers while cutting a separate piece of yarn at least 6 inches long. You will wrap this perpendicularly around your yarn by taking one end and pushing between your fingers below the yarn, and pushing the other end between your fingers above the yarn.
4. Take the strands from the backside of your fingers and tie into a knot. The strand of yarn is now ‘hugging’ the middle of the pom-pom.
5. Slide the yarn off your fingers and then pull the yarn strands wrapped around the middle of the pom-pom taut. You may want to make another knot to make it extra secure.
6. Now take your scissors and insert them into the top of the pom-pom and cut through the loops. Repeat on the bottom of the pom-pom. Make sure to NOT cut the two long strands around the middle of the pom-pom. You will use those to tie the pom-pom to your necklace.
7. The key to a nice puffy pom-pom is giving it a good trim. While holding onto the two long strands of yarn, trim down the pom-pom until you get the look you want. The less you cut it, the more fringey looking it will be.
How to Make a Pom-Pom Necklace
8. Find the middle of your necklace chain and start tying on pom-poms by using the two long strands. My necklace chain had some rings large enough for my yarn to go through, so I ran it through there before tying in a knot to keep the pom-poms in place.
9. You may want to tie the pom-poms loosely at first until you get the arrangement you want, then go back and tie securely with a double knot.
10. Once you have your pom-poms arranged how you want and secured with a knot, cut off the remaining long yarn strands and your necklace is complete!