Chalkboard Balloons!April 24, 2015 | FILED UNDER: Uncategorized
I’m so excited about my latest balloon project. It’s a balloon..that looks like a chalkboard! And it’s something you can make by yourself with just a Martha Stewart stencil and liquid chalk pen.
These would make for really fun party or wedding decor – why use a chalkboard sign to welcome guests or direct them to the menu, when you can use a balloon? So much more fun!
The Martha Stewart stencil set I used includes words like “celebrate”, “love”, “congrats”, “welcome”, and “menu”. But you can also get their chalkboard alphabet letters to make any custom chalkboard balloon that you want! Here are the supplies I used:
Supplies for DIY Chalkboard Stenciled Balloons
- Martha Stewart Phrases Chalkboard Silkscreens
- Martha Stewart Erasable Liquid Chalk
- Black helium grade balloons (I used 12″ balloons)
- Baker’s twine or string
How to Make DIY Chalkboard Stenciled Balloons
1. Inflate balloons with helium. If you want them to last longer than 6-8 hours have your local party store add Hi-Float when they inflate them.
2. Carefully peel the silkscreen from its backing. I say carefully, because I tried pulling one off quickly and accidentally ripped it! Apply to the balloon and run your fingernail over the silkscreen to make sure all parts of it are flush against the balloon so paint won’t seep through.
2. Prep your liquid chalk pen by pouncing it up and down on a paper towel to get the chalk paint flowing. Then rub an even layer all over the stencil.
3. Peel away the stencil to reveal your design! I keep a damp paper towel and a Q-tip nearby so if I smudge anything or have any paint seep through the stencil I can easily wipe it off.
That’s it! As I said, you can also make custom balloons with whatever word or name you want using the chalkboard alphabet silkscreens – so many fun options!
Love these balloons? Then don’t miss my other simple DIY balloon crafts!
Photos by Candice Stringham.
This is post is sponsored by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia as part of the #12MonthsofMartha program. All content and opinions are my own.