End of Summer LuminariesSeptember 02, 2014 | FILED UNDER: Paper, Summer
Supplies for Paper Punch Luminaries
- Thin paper bags
- You can use basic brown lunch bags, but I chose colored favor bags (look in the party aisle!) as they provided a nice contrast with the blue on the outside and the white on the inside.
- Whatever bag you use, make sure it is nice and thin so that the punch can go through it
- Martha Stewart Cut and Fold Abstract Rose Punch (available in stores later this month!)
- Edging scissors
- LED battery powered pillar candles
- You could also use real votives by first pouring some sand on the bottom of the bag and then placing them in the middle
How to Make Paper Punch Luminaries
1. Lay a bag flat and position your punch toward the upper center portion of the bag. Start punching out the design. Follow the directions provided with the punch or see more step-by-step photos in this tutorial.
2. Once the design has been punched, fold back the design per the instructions here.
3. If you want, use a pair of edging scissors to give a decorative top to the bag.
4. Open the bag and insert an LED pillar candle
If you want, you can tape a piece of vellum to the inside of the bag to cover the opening and filter the light more, but I thought these worked great as is: