Valentine Heart BoxesFebruary 11, 2014 | FILED UNDER: Valentine's Day, Paint
Supplies for DIY Valentine Heart Boxes
- Paper mache heart box
- Martha Stewart acrylic craft paint
- Martha Stewart foam pouncers or foam brush
- Martha Stewart adhesive stencils
- Martha Stewart Monogram Flourish alphabet stencils
How to Make Valentine Heart Boxes
1. Paint the box a solid color. You can paint the lid a different color from the base if you want to get creative!
I did three coats of paint for my boxes, waiting at least 15 minutes between coats.
2. Lightly trace out your letters with your stencil and a pencil. This prevents that “oops!” moment when you are halfway done stenciling out the name and realize you’ve run out of room (I’ve learned from my mistakes!).
3. Using a foam pouncer or brush, lightly stencil on the letters. You can use painters tape to secure the stencil in place or hold down firmly to prevent it from moving while you are stenciling. Less is more when it comes to the amount of paint you should use when stenciling. Just add a little on your brush and dab off the excess before applying. Make sure to let dry before starting a new letter so you don’t smudge the previous letter.
I used the Martha Stewart adhesive stencils for the borders on the side of the heart box. They are so cool because they are flexible around a curved surface like this heart and they stick! You can peel them off and use them again and again.
4. If making a border, start the next section by overlapping the stencil over the last stenciled part of your previous section (in this case, it was the final dot in my scalloped edge).
Oliver and Delaney, your boxes are on their way – I hope you like them!
Want to see what other fun crafts bloggers have made as part of the 12 Months of Martha program? Just search the hashtag #12MonthsofMartha on Instagram or Pinterest to follow along!
This is post is sponsored by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia as part of the #12MonthsofMartha program. All content and opinions are my own. Amazon affiliate links are used in this post – if you purchase any of the items from the Amazon link I may receive a referral commission.