DIY Kentucky Derby Ribbon BannerMay 01, 2017 | FILED UNDER: Uncategorized
If you’re planning a get together to watch the Kentucky Derby on May 6th, I’ve got a simple and easy decoration idea for you. You an turn basic paper pinwheels into giant ribbons fit for the winning horse! I created five ribbons and strung them together to create this DIY Kentucky Derby Ribbon Banner. The garland creates an easy party backdrop, or you can also make separate ribbons and scatter them around the party.
Read on to see how easy these are to make, and check out how to make your own Derby-inspired floral hats if you missed them last week!
This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure.
Supplies for Kentucky Derby Ribbon Banner
- Party fans (I used a mix of Spritz party fans from Target)
- Card stock
- Circle punch (I used a 2 inch punch)
- Gold letter stickers
- Hole punch
- Glue dots
How to Make Kentucky Derby Ribbon Banner
1. Secure the party fans in place with glue dots. Many fans come with adhesive already but I prefer to use glue dots in case you want to fold them up and reuse the fans later on.
2. Add three glue dots to the top of a larger fan. Try to position the glue dots across a couple folds in the fan so that they lay flat such as in the photo.
3. Position a smaller party fan on top of the larger fan and press into the glue dots to secure.
4. Cut two inch circles from colored card stock.
5. Adhere to the center of each smaller party fan with a glue dot and add a gold letter sticker on top of each if you would like to spell something with your banner. I spelled “derby” on mine.
6. Cut strips of wide ribbon and add to the back of the fans at an angle and slightly overlapping. Adhere with glue dots.
7. Use a hole punch to add two holes to the top of large fan. I separated my holes five folds apart on the fan. String the fans onto a length of twine to create the banner.
They really do look like giant winning ribbons. I love the touch of gold in these fans combined with the pink and turquoise.
I hung the banner from our outdoor patio to create a festive backdrop for our Kentucky Derby party.