Saint Patrick Day CraftMarch 07, 2013 | FILED UNDER: Uncategorized
I can’t have a holiday meal without making a little last minute DIY decor – check out my St. Patrick’s Day decorations from 2012 and 2011 for more easy ideas you can make the day of!
I like the modern geometric look of the garland. I’ve been seeing more and more geometric shapes in home decor and was particularly inspired by this awesome geometric shamrock by blogging friend Oleander and Palm.
The garland was also an excuse to use some octagon paper coasters I had bought at 90% off from Target’s after-Christmas sale! Unfortunately, I don’t think the coasters are available anymore (they are the Spritz brand – check the party section at Target). But don’t worry – you can easily cut out your own – see below for template.
Supplies for Shamrock Garland
- Green card stock (I used two shades of green)
- Octagon template (this is one example – Google ‘octagon template’ for several others. My octagons measured 4″ across)
- Hole puncher
- Double-sided tape
How to Make Shamrock Garland
1. Trace and cut out octagons from card stock (you’ll need 3 octagons per shamrock)
2. Use double-sided tape to adhere two octagons on top of another octagon to make the shamrock shape
3. Tape a little ‘stem’ of twine to the back of the shamrock
4. Punch two holes in the top of each shamrock and string your twine through.
Hang your new garland and pour yourself a Guinness!