DIY Valentines with Sand Art
Whether you’re a kid, or a kid at heart, I promise you’ll love making these sand art DIY Valentines! This project is super easy thanks to these heart-shaped sticky boards. Just pour sand on top and it sticks. I played around with adding different words and color combinations to the hearts. Read on to see my simple tricks for making your own!
I have loved making sand art ever since I was a kid. As an adult, I’ve looked for ways to elevate it to a more grown-up craft such as this modern sand wall art that I made for Oriental Trading. There are so many possibilities for crafting with colored sand beyond just layering it in jars!
Supplies for Sand Art Valentines
- Heart-shaped sticky boards
- Colored sand
- Wood letters
- Wood hearts
- Vinyl weeding tool (or similar)
- Spray sealant (optional)
How to Make Sand Art Valentines
2. Pour colored sand over the heart to cover all of the area around the letters. Tap off the excess. I like using paper plates under the hearts to easily collect the extra sand and reuse it.
3. Use a vinyl weeding tool (or similar pointed tool) to carefully pop off the wood letters. If you want to use multiple colors, just remove a couple letters at a time (these will be the same color).
4. Pour another color of sand on top of the exposed letters. Tap off the excess onto a paper plate.
5. Repeat by removing the remaining letters and covering with another color of sand. To preserve the sand art and prevent any from being scratched off, I recommend giving each Valentine a spray of acrylic spray sealer when you are done!
6. You can write a special message on the back of your valentine!
Aren’t these so cute? It was easy to whip up a bunch of them, and I must admit, once I started making them it was hard to stop! It is so fun to try out different combinations. The hearts come in a 24 pack, giving you lots of opportunities to play around.
Don’t miss all my other Valentine Craft ideas!
Thank you to Oriental Trading for providing the supplies for this project!