Design Improvised is Headed to Alt! January 17, 2014 | FILED UNDER: Uncategorized
Design Improvised is headed to Alt Summit
next week, and I’ll be going with new Minted
business cards, a colorful business card case, and some DIY sparkly pencils to boot!
Business cards are a big deal at Alt. They are an important representation of your blog’s brand and so many are little art forms that they’ve become collectables among fellow design bloggers. I have a bunch of my favorites from last year’s conference displayed in my office
After a couple years of using my DIY scissors cards
, I was ready for a new, more professional look and I turned to Minted. As you know, I love Minted products and have partnered with them on several projects last year – from hosting a baby shower
to displaying holiday cards
. They make amazing paper goods, and they happen to make amazing business cards as well!
I am no graphic designer, so I need all the help I can get when it comes to something like designing business cards. Minted has a number of gorgeous business cards
created by independent designers – it is like having a graphic designer create a custom business card for you without the cost!
I was attracted to this particular design
because of the fun orange and gray print that matched my blog colors and I was able to customize the font to closely match my blog header:
But my favorite aspect of these cards might be their triple-thick paper
that makes them feel so luxurious! These cards are so nice and thick that you can’t even bend them – it gives them that extra special feel.
Another tradition at Alt is to give away a little swag with your cards. I’ve always had fun coming up with a little something extra to give out, and for the past conferences I’ve made binder clips and a “make your own business card garland” kit
. This year, I’m bringing some pencils with a little bling:
It’s as simple as wrapping some pencils with sparkly pipe cleaners! Here’s how:
1. Start a pipe cleaner around the top of the pencil. Angle the end down and then wrap the rest of the pipe cleaner tightly around it to hold it in place.
2. Angle the remaining end down in a similar fashion.
3. Take another pipe cleaner in a different color and cross it over the end of the other pipe cleaner and start wrapping around tightly.
4. Continue wrapping to cover both loose ends. Make sure that the ends lay down flat – you don’t want any wires poking out!
5. Continue in the same manner with the remaining colors. I used five pipe cleaners on each pencil. For the final color just wrap the end tightly around the pencil and it will stay in place securely.
No glue necessary – when you need to sharpen the pencil, just unwrap one of the pipe cleaners!
Kinda fun right? I’ve made 30 of them so far – just need to make 30-40 more! That’s what I’ll be doing this weekend. 😉
I’ll have more details on Alt to come, but if you are interested in seeing some photos from my past trip to the conference (this will be my 4th Alt!) check out this post and this one!
I’ve got the business cards, the swag, and a DIY scissors tote. Now I just need to pack my bags – Alt Summit here I come!
This post is sponsored by Minted. All content and opinions are my own.